Advertisements
Home > Strategy > Ghar Ka Khana – Home cooked food at your doorstep!

Ghar Ka Khana – Home cooked food at your doorstep!

Last week I happened to learn about “Ghar Ka Khana” tiffin service in the City Beautiful- Chandigarh. I caught up with the founder (and owner) of Ghar Ka Khana service and was astomished to know that the venture is being run by a girl in her early twenties! Along with running her venture, she is also doing a day-job.

Here is interview with Gagandeep Kaur, the founder and owner of Ghar Ka Khana.

How did you get the idea to start Ghar Ka Khana?

Actually, I never had anything on my mind to start a business of my own. When I first relocated to Chandigarh for studeis, I was staying in a PG. There I experienced a lot of problems with food. I tried a few tiffin services as well, but all of them disappointed me. I thought over it and realized that there will be hundreds of people like me in Chandigarh facing similar problem with food. So, I made up my mind that if I got a chance, I will definitely start my own tiffin service which will provide delicious and healthy home cooked food.

What was the motive behind picking this name?

I wanted a name which should give a clear idea of what the service is about. There are lots of students in Chandigarh who stay in independent apartments and PGs and miss home cooked food. So I picked up this name- Ghar Ka Khana, which conveys what we deliver. Our current and prospective customers instantly connect to the name.

What type of clientele do you have right now?

Students and working professionals comprise of a major chunk of our customers. Presently we serve students living in their own rented apartments or PGs and offices. Our corporate customers include banks, IT companies and coaching centers. Our clientele includes ICICI bank, HDFC bank and JUSTdial besides many others.

How you distinguish yourself from your competitors?

We differentiate from our competition in many ways.

The essence of our venture is ‘relationship’. To start with we offer our new customers free trials. Once they are satisfied with our service, they can opt for the regular delivery.

We have a strict check on quality of ingredients we use. We make sure we sustain the standards we have set for quality in every single delivery.  A customer will never forget a single bad service even it happens once in 100 deliveries. So the hallmark of our service is good food, delivered hot and on time- every single time the customer orders. I personally buy all the ingredients and supervise the preparation of food.

We lay a lot of stress on hygiene. The tiffin comes in hygienically packed disposable containers.

How do you market your venture? Till now, its word of mouth. ‘Delivering what we promise’ is our marketing tool. It has been working fine till now!

What are your plans for the future? We are currently delivering 200+ tiffins a day. We are aiming to increase this number to 500+ very soon. From tiffin service, we are planning to move into organizing small office parties and outsourcing of office cafeterias. We do not have a timeline for it right now, but yes, I have it on my to-do list and will accomplish it in next couple of years.

Any message you want to to share with young entrepreneurs? From my personal experience I would only say that everything seems difficult before you attempt it. If you work hard enough, everything falls in place. Dream on, dream big and work hard to transform your dreams into reality.

Advertisements
  1. shashi
    April 14, 2013 at 10:58 am

hard work always pays good luck keep it up

2. chandan kumar
    July 18, 2013 at 5:38 pm

How much it cost for setup this job. If i m in a very small town

3. Sonam
    August 30, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Hi Harsh, that’s a great work you are doing!!
    I have always dreamt of starting my own business. And cooking interests me. Please advice how do I go about it, what things are required to start a tiffin business? Please help!

Thanks and best regards,
    Sonam 🙂

4. reena
    October 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I have been thinking of doing similar thing. i want to know how did you start, as in, how did you fix up on the menu, the raw-materials, quantity, etc. so as to avoid wastage? Also, are you doing it from your home? Can you share your 1st day experience?

with best wishes,
    Reena

5. Malusha
    October 14, 2013 at 5:57 pm

hey harsh..thats a nice thing ..even i am planning to start my own small tiffin service but i am blank as to how to go ahead and approach people and which people do i need to approach..how do i give hot food to my clients since i am also working…i am not so pro in konkan dishes ie malvani dishes…do u think people wud like north india dishes and what do i offer them in their lunch…how much shud i charge them ..i wud b highly obliged if u could help and guide me to start something of my own ..everyting…if u get time and u think u can answer my queries that wud be great..my email add:malusha.hinduja@gmail.com

6. Ravish
    October 18, 2013 at 7:00 am

Hey..good to read about your venture..i am also planning to do this in delhi..have some queries to begin with…would really appreciate if you can help.

7. Ankit
    March 7, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Kindly reply as soon as possibleHi I am Ankit Agarwal From kolkata (WB). I want to start tiffin business where I can provide meal to the person who require it but right now I don’t have a particular space to start that and I have searched a lot for that but I am not getting proper space to start. Can you please help me out or guide me how to go further for it to start this and what capital I require for this etc,.

Kindly reply as soon as possible
    mail id (a.anks93@gmail.com)
    Ring -089815-32544

8. Satish
    April 28, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Very good Business ideas…and it will very easy to start and Run…

9. indu
    July 29, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Hii, i am indu planning to do something like this.But dont know how to execute.Plz give me some idea.

1. No trackbacks yet.